About Building Information Modeling
Building Information Modeling (BIM) is a collaborative way of working underpinned by digital technologies among the Architecture, Engineering, Construction & Operation (AECO) industry stakeholders across the project life cycle that allows for more efficient methods of designing, delivering and maintaining physical built assets. The information contained within the models facilitates well-informed decision making and that means greater clarity, better communications, and, ultimately, better efficiency. As the cost of operating and maintaining buildings and facilities represent up to 85% of the whole-life cost, savings can pay back any upfront premium in construction expenses in just a few years. Effectively diffusing BIM technologies and workflows in a project life cycle benefits the AECO industry and especially the client organization.
The key benefits of BIM are: reduced delivery costs, green performance, predictable planning reducing risks, reduced operational costs & increased quality and value. Additional benefits are: high levels of collaboration, communication and coordination among the stakeholders, consistent and coordinated designs and highly constructible design solutions. The client organization being the key for any project, they can request AECO industry to diffuse BIM technologies & workflows with expected maturity to lower project costs, faster project delivery, lower emissions, better customer services and risk management. Meanwhile, AECO industry can also get a package of benefits with BIM diffusion. First, architectural & engineering organization i.e. designers, specifiers & cost consultants can benefit with improved coordination, visualization, better cost estimating, and competitive export & growth. Second, construction organization i.e. contractors/subcontractors, fabricator & supplier/manufacturer can benefit with sequencing, clash detection, reduced abortive work, offsite manufacture, competitive export & growth and health & safety. Third, facility management organization i.e. operators and occupiers can benefit with asset knowledge, better information and soft landings.
Globally, BIM awareness is spreading in a great way for the benefits it is binging to the AECO industry. BIM has been researched in more than 65 countries. BIM has been adopted in tertiary education system in more than 25 countries. BIM adoption efforts from the public sector is happening in more than 30 countries. And, several national level organizations support BIM adoption and implementation in more than 31 countries. In India, AECO industry is the second largest industry after agriculture industry. Indian AECO industry employs more than 35 million people, has second highest inflow of foreign direct investment after services sector, and contributes to about 11.1% of India’s GDP. Asper construction 2025 targets, BIS, HM Government 2013, implementation of BIM technologies and workflows in the AECO projects can reduce in the initial cost of construction and the whole life cycle cost up to 50%, reduce greenhouse gas emissions in the built environment up to 50% and reduce in the overall time by 50%, from inception to completion, for new build and refurbishment assets. With such a massive investment happening in Indian AECO projects, it is very much essential to diffuse BIM technologies and workflows by adopting standardized procedures. For this to happen it is basic requirement to bring together Indian AECO industry and education community to learn and diffuse BIM technologies and processes in Indian AECO projects, overall helping the Indian AECO industry to grow.
About India BIM Association
India Building Information Modeling Association (here in after India BIM Association-IBIMA) is a not-for-profit association that has core intention of educating and creating BIM awareness (i.e. BIM processes & workflows, BIM tools & technologies, BIM standards & guidelines) among Indian Architectural Engineering Construction & Operation (AECO) industry and academia members. IBIMA also promotes the use and development of BIM in India. As a 360-degree club, this association aims to bring together Indian AECO industry and education community to learn and diffuse BIM technologies and processes in Indian AEC projects, overall helping the Indian AECO industry to grow. And, we are glad to inform you that IBIMA (ibima.co.in) is firmly moving ahead in spreading BIM awareness to the Indian AECO industry and academia (With IBIMA reaching to 7000+ members on Social media i.e. Fb, LinkedIn & Twitter).
We at IBIMA intend to take this further with the right opportunity and environment with non-political and non-profit agenda. To take this forward with main intention of helping the Indian AECO industry to grow in terms of improving the adoption rate of IT in construction i.e. BIM processes & workflows, BIM tools & technologies, BIM standards & guidelines, India BIM Association has been established on 12th May 2016.
Who is it for
IBIMA is for architecture, engineering, construction and operation professionals and organizations, seeking knowledge and insight, working collectively with BIM technologies and practices.
What is IBIMA involved with
- Books and Publications – We invite BIM experts, global academicians, researchers and subject matter experts to share their research papers and academic works associated with BIM technologies and processes to be published in our upcoming peer reviewed journal.
- Discussions – Our discussion forum is open for all where BIM enthusiasts can share knowledge and ideas, take part in discussions and brainstorm on BIM and also provide a platform to interact with the industry experts and academia.
- Articles – We aim to spearhead and promote Building Information Modeling in India and a voice for the global audience through our blog, curate and gather topics of relevance and keep posted on the latest trends, standards and methodologies related to BIM.
- Conference and Seminars – We conduct seminars and conferences relating to the advancement of BIM while encouraging the participation of institutions, professionals, organizations and AEC industry as a whole to contribute and take part in advocating BIM awareness and its implementation.
- Outreach – As we thrust on BIM advancement, we look for every opportunity to collaborate with other BIM organizations, professionals and industry stakeholders and provide support in carrying out best BIM practices. We put forward our expertise to address their needs and enhance the experience in Architecture, Engineering, Construction and Management using BIM Technology.